A soup with African roots that is quick and easy to make. This golden Peanut Butter and Squash Soup has a slightly sweet, warm and nutty flavor.
Combining peanut butter and squash in a soup may not be your first choice, but this PB & S is worth trying. It’s nothing like a eating peanut butter on a sandwich, obviously, you will taste peanuts, but not in a overwhelming way.
What else is in this soup, besides peanut butter and squash?
- Garlic paste
- Peanut Oil
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Tomato paste
- Bean sprouts, cilantro or parsley
How to go about making this soup?
- Heat the peanut oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat and add the squash, onion, garlic paste, salt, cumin, coriander, and chili powder or even cayenne pepper for a little heat and saute for approx. 5 minutes or until the onion is tender and translucent.
- Add vegetable stock (if you want to keep it vegan) or otherwise chicken stock, peanut butter, and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- The type of peanut butter you use does not make a huge difference. By using the creamy peanut butter, you obviously end up with a smoother soup, but you may prefer a crunch and then the coarsely ground peanut butter is a better choice.
- You can also opt for a low fat peanut butter, but again not a huge difference. This recipe for 2 uses only 1/3 cup of peanut butter and thus not much fat is involved.
- Once the squash is tender, and that takes about 10 minutes or less, you have 3 ways to finish the soup
- Leave the squash as it, divide over plates or bowls and garnish with bean sprout, cilantro or parsley
- Make the soup smooth by using an immersion blender and again use the same garnish
- Scoop some of the squash cubes out of the soup before you blend it until smooth, then add the chunks back in and garnish.
Peanut Butter and Squash Soup
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups stock chicken or vegetable
- 1/3 cup peanut butter smooth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt & pepper
- bean sprouts, parsley, cilantra (garnish)
- Heat the peanut oil in a dutch oven over medium heat and add the squash, onion, garlic paste, salt, cumin, coriander, and chili powder and saute for approx. 5 minutes until the onion is tender and translucent.
- Add stock, peanut butter, and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until squash is tender.
- With a slotted spoon, take some of the squash cubes out of the soup and set aside. Puree the rest with a immersion mixer until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper if needed. Divide soup over 2 plates or bowls. Divide cubes over the 2 dishes and garnish with bean sprouts.