Vegetables roasted until blackened, not burned, tossed with orzo and roasted Halloumi cheese make a simple and flavorful dish that you can prepare on the grill outside or in a grill pan inside.
Roasting of vegetables add flavor, no doubt about it. Blackening vegetables add crunch and flavor. The Halloumi cheese adds protein (without this cheese the dish is vegan) and the orzo pasta adds volume and satiety.
Ingredients of Orzo with Blackened Vegetables:
- The vegetable part of the ingredients for this dish include: asparagus, onion, bell pepper, zucchini.
- Additional vegetable you could add: mushrooms, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, corn (if in season).
- Halloumi cheese
- Olive oil, garlic (if desired), salt and pepper
Cut the vegetables to your desired size. You can cut them small to match the orzo, or you can cut them into larger pieces as I did, mix with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them.
Add the Halloumi cheese toward the end of the roasting time and roast it until you see grill marks. You can slice the cheese (you can also buy pre-sliced Halloumi) or you can cube the cheese and roast those cubes.
Mix the roasted vegetables and Halloumi with the orzo, add salt & pepper, garlic (if you like) and your Orzo with Blackened Vegetables is ready. It’s that simple.
Other recipes that are similar:
Orzo with Blackened Vegetables
- 1 bundle asparagus
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 8 ounces Halloumi cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on medium high heat
- Cook the orzo in salted boiling water until al dente according to package instructions. Drain in a colander.
- Cut the vegetables to your desired pieces, toss the vegetables in 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Grill the vegetables until they have grill marks all over, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the grill dish and create grill marks. Bake another 4 minutes until the vegetables go from grilled to blackened, but be careful don't burn them.
- Mix orzo with vegetables and cheese, add salt & pepper to taste, minced garlic (optional) and serve.