This Carrot Lentil Soup with Cilantro is a simple carrot soup with a little bit of extra body coming from the lentils and a spark of heat coming form the cumin, and coriander. A filling soup for the colder days of spring and summer.
The basis of most carrot soups is carrot and onion, and so is this one. I added the lentils to base for body and some flavor of earthiness. Most of the times when I make a basic carrot soup it is carrot and onions, by just chopping both vegetables, cook them in vegetable or chicken broth and then use an immersion blender to make a creamy soup. It is almost liquid baby food.
If you think about a basic carrot soup, like I just described, carrot and onion, then you have some options. Add cream, or ginger (also an often practiced addition), add beans, lentils or potatoes to thicken the soup or you have more fancy additions like, coconut, peanut butter, curry and anything else you like.
My choice last week was lentils. We had a couple of days of pretty heavy rain, and even though the temperature was still acceptable, for some reason and had the need for a soup that had a ‘warming’ effect on me, hence the Carrot Lentil Soup with Cilantro.
Another carrot soup you might like is Roasted Squash Carrot Soup with Chicken. Without the chicken and the chicken stock, you can make this one vegan as well.
Carrot Lentil Soup with Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic
- 1 pound carrots
- 3.5 ounces dried red lentils
- 1 tteaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- Chop the onion, carrots and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and add the onion and garlic and bake for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots and the spices and bake another few minutes. Chop the cilantro (leave a few leaves for decoration) and set aside.
- Add the vegetable broth and the lentils and cook for 10-15 minutes until the carrots and lentils are done.
- Add the cilantro. Use an immersion mixer to create a smooth and creamy result.
- Taste the soup and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the soup in bowls or plates and add cilantro leaves for a simple decoration.