A close relative to the Hasselback potato – the roasted accordion potatoes – or maybe a relative to the scalloped potatoes, minus the sauce. Whichever one you pick, this dish is easy to make and results in a side dish with a crispy crack to it.
There is only a risky part about this dish and that is to keep in truly vegan/vegetarian. Slicing the potatoes thin is not without risking your skin, at least it is for me. I don’t have a mandoline slicer, I cut the potatoes with a grater that has a slot for slices and then you risk slicing you finger, thumb or the thenar of your hand, the area where the thumb meets the palm (what I always call the human drumstick). Luckily, this time I came out of the battle unscathed. Of course you can also use a sharp knife.
I used russet potatoes for this dish and left the skin on. It is a rather thick skin, so slice the potatoes thin and you will get crackling crispy skin after roasting; thicker slices may become a chewing nightmare.
Furthermore I used rosemary and coarse kosher salt; rosemary is a powerful herb and you only need a little bit to get the roasty flavor; the added coarse salt gives it an additional crack. Rosemary and roasted potatoes; that’s aromas from the Provence isn’t it.
Stack the potatoes tight, and place here and there a slice of shallot. These shallot slices will add just a little extra dimension to the dish. Last recommendation; grease the dish well, the potatoes tend to stick during baking and then is will not be easy to get them out of the dish. I served the potatoes with a mixed green salad with cranberries, avocado, mozzarella, and tomatoes.
Roasted Accordion Potatoes
- 3 whole russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole shallot
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease all sides of a baking dish, 4.5x7 inches with olive oil.
- Wash potatoes and cut them in thin slices lengthwise (approx. 1/8 inch thick). Cut the shallot in slices, the same thickness as the potatoes.
- Place potato slices upright in the dish, starting at the short side of the dish. Fill the dish with the potato slices.
- Slide the slices of shallots between the potatoes, evenly divided over the dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered dish in the middle of the over, approx. 45 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees F, sprinkle the potatoes with rosemary and bake for another 20 minutes.