When it comes to making a Tuna Fish Salad, it does not have to be complicated. This particular salad has tuna fish, pasta, spices, spicy beans, capers, lemon zest and lemon juice. The radicchio leaves will add some bitterness that is countered by the olive oil. This Radicchio Shells with Tuna Fish Salad is healthy and you can serve it as an appetizer or a lunch.
I am living and working outside a big city, which is officially called rural, as you know. Unfortunately, the city is closing in an less and less rural is left. We are about 30-40 minutes outside the city of Atlanta, with a limited choice of restaurants. Going out for lunch on a regular basis, is not in the cards, unless you’re OK with taking off for a few hours. So, I regularly resort to making my own tuna fish sandwich; a recipe for another day. It is a less time consuming than driving into town and it’s a tasteful and healthy option.
Today I wanted to make a more elaborate tuna salad with some pasta mixed into it. The tuna fish I use is white Albacore in water. I prefer this over tuna fish in oil, because it give me the flexibility to decide what fat source I want to use. This time just plain olive oil.
The ingredients used the tuna fish salad
- pickled spicy beans, so called Mean Beans
- pill pasta
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- tuna fish
- radicchio leaves – the vehicle for the salad.
The result is a really nice and simple tuna fish salad. You’ll have the crunch from the beans and the tingling effect on your tongue (spicy beans). The softness of the pasta, still with a bite, the herbal flavor of the capers. The bitterness of the radicchio and the splash of ‘freshness’ from the lemon. All mixed with the tuna fish and a little bit of salt and pepper.
This Radicchio Shells with Tuna Fish Salad is a delicious healthy meal; low fat, high fiber, rich in omega 3 fat and done in no time.
Radicchio Shells with Tuna Fish Salad
- 2 ounces pill pasta or any other small pasta
- 3 1/2 ounces tuna fish in water
- 2 ounces pickled beans
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leaves Radicchio
- salt and pepper
- parsley chopped
- Boil water and salt in a sauce pan and cook the pasta according to the directions on the packaging. Drain and cool.
- Wash the radicchio leaves and pat them dry.
- Drain the tuna fish, and cut the mean beans in small pieces.
- Transfer tuna to a bowl and shred tuna fish meat. Add all other ingredients to the bowl and mix.
- Place the two radicchio leaves on a plate and fill them with the tuna fish salad.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Add toasted bread if you like.