When it comes down to a Tuna Fish Salad, it does not have to be complicated. The salad I made, contains a little spice, a little pasta and some freshness from lemon zest and lemon juice. The radicchio leaves will add some bitterness that is countered by the olive oil – Radicchio Shells with Tuna Fish Salad is a healthy salad that’s served in a different coat. Serve it as an appetizer or a lunch or at a party.
Living and working outside a big city, officially it is called rural, but unfortunately not much rural left, but still I am like 30-40 minutes outside the city of Atlanta and with just a few eat-out options. So going out for lunch on a regular basis, is not in the cards, but if I do, I often resort to eating a tuna fish sandwich. I happen to like it and it is a little healthier than a burger or a large sub, however, when it is a tuna sandwiches with heaps of mayo, you won’t see me eat that.
With that in mind, I made this tuna fish salad with some pasta mixed into it. The tuna fish I use is white Albacore in water, not in oil and I use the solid tuna, not the chunks. Reason for the water version is that I can decide what I want to add as fat source. This time just plain olive oil. You can still eat it with bread if that’s what you like.
The ingredients I used are pickled spicy beans, so called Mean Beans, capers, pill pasta, garlic, lemon juice and zest and of course tuna fish and the radicchio leaves as a vehicle for the salad. The result is really nice for a simple tuna fish salad. You’ll have the crunch from the beans and the tingling effect on your tongue, the softness of the pasta, still with a bite, the herbal flavor of the capers, the bitterness of the radicchio and the splash of ‘freshness’ from the lemon all mixed with tuna fish. And I only added just a little bit of salt and pepper it came out very flavorful.
So Radicchio Shells with Tuna Fish Salad is a delicious healthy meal; low fat, high fiber, rich in omega 3 fat and done in no time.
Radicchio Shells with Tuna Fish Salad
- 2 ounces pill pasta or any other small pasta
- 3 1/2 ounces solid tuna fish in water
- 2 ounces mean beans
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leaves of Radicchio
- salt and pepper
- parsley chopped
- Boil water and salt in a sauce pan and cook the pasta according to the directions on the packaging. Drain and cool.
- Wash the radicchio leaves and pat them dry.
- Drain the tuna fish, and cut the mean beans in small pieces.
- Transfer tuna to a bowl and shred tuna fish meat. Add all other ingredients to the bowl and mix.
- Place the two radicchio leaves on a plate and fill them with the tuna fish salad.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Add toasted bread if you like.