A stir-fried gnocchi dish with bold flavors that is very easy and quick to make. It is almost a one-pan dish; you will only need a second pan to cook the gnocchi. The bitterness of the arugula with the crunch of the pancetta and the softness of the gnocchi make a delicious combination in this Stir-fried Gnocchi with Arugula and Pancetta.
On days where you have little time to cook, but still want to cook a decent and flavorful meal and not come home with a take-out meal, this Stir-fried Gnocchi with Arugula and Pancetta is a very nice option if I may say so. It has all the makings of a pasta dish, but this one is made with potato gnocchi.
Traditionally a stir-fry is made in a wok, but everybody agrees that a skillet can do the work as well, so I used a skillet. For this recipe I worked in 3 stages.
- Cut and cook the pancetta and cook the gnocchi. When this is done, set it aside; transfer the pancetta to a paper towel to absorb the fat and drain the gnocchi, keep some of the cooking liquid.
- Place arugula in the skillet for just a little bit, so it start wilting. Don’t go too far, you want it to still be crunchy. Set it aside.
- Put the dish together; butter in skillet, add garlic, add gnocchi, high heat, just to add a nice brown cheeks to the gnocchi and a glossy coating, add Arugula Pistachio Pesto, (I shared with you earlier this month), the cooking liquid and the tomato. Toss and stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Put it all on a plate by making a ‘bed’ of arugula, transfer gnocchi mixture on top and sprinkle with pancetta.
When preparing it separately and not add the arugula and pancetta to the gnocchi mix, you preserve the vegetable freshness of the arugula and the crunchiness of the pancetta. The result is a quick and simple dish with soft gnocchi pillows, crunch from pancetta and tiny pieces of pistachio in the pesto and veggie freshness from arugula and tomato.
Stir-fried Gnocchi with Arugula and Pancetta
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 8 ounces potato gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 whole tomato
- 2 tablespoons arugula pistachio pesto
- salt and pepper
- Cut pancetta in very small cubes and cook in skillet on high heat until brown and crunchy.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to directions on packaging. Drain and set aside. Keep 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
- Wash tomato, cut in quarters and discard the seeds. Cut in tiny cubes, similar size as the pancetta.
- Once pancetta is cooked, take out of skillet and put on paper towel, that will absorb the fat.
- Add arugula to skillet and cook until just starting to wilt, a minute or so. Take out of skillet an set aside.
- Add butter to skillet and when butter is hot, add bake gnocchi. Cook and stir for approx. 1 minute. Add garlic, add pesto and stir until gnocchi is coated.
- Add cooking liquid and allow to evaporate.
- Add tomato and allow to warm a little. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide arugula over 2 plates. Divide gnocchi mixture on top of arugula and finish with pancetta.