This Green Salad with Citrus Dressing has no green lettuce, but there are enough other green and crunchy vegetables to make a delicious salad. The red chard is the star of the salad as it provides the leafy section, the beautiful dark green background color and the red veins make the salad pop. The citrus dressing is made up of mainly lemon and orange juice with mustard and maple syrup giving the salad a sweet acidity.
As you see, a green salad does not have to be just lettuce with something; it can be anything you like. Make it different once in a while, like I did. It can still be green, healthy, divers, full of flavor, and colorful because of the many shades and shapes of green. A plate full of green vegetables and fruit can be served either as a salad, adding a simple citrus dressing, creating a Green Salad with Citrus Dressing or when you serve the individual items cut, you can serve them with some dipping sauces, pimento cheese, white queso, salsa.
I picked the following fruits and vegetables; red chard, celery stalk, green asparagus, Granny Smith apple, green bell pepper, kiwi and parsley. The red chard is a beautiful leafy vegetable, slightly bitter, may be a little tough, but when you slice it thin the toughness will disappear. The celery in thin strips can serve as a dipping stick and in small tiny pieces they are a good crunch in the salad. The green asparagus are cooked just a few minutes, making them a touch more tender. The apple with skin is another great dipper and a color picker-upper for the salad. The bell pepper adds deep dark green and the kiwi is in a different league. A beautiful fruit that just needs peeling and slicing and enjoying. Last but not least, I added sunflower seeds, which I roasted for a few minutes and dried cherries for intensity and chewiness.
The Citrus dressing is very simple, but is it my go-to dressing when I want a little more than just a oil/vinegar vinaigrette. I’ll combine lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil and mix that with mustard, maple syrup and salt and pepper. It adds a hint of sweetness.
Green Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 2 leaves red chard
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple
- 2 whole kiwi fruits
- 10 green asparagus
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 5 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- Heat an oven to 350 degrees F. Place the sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and roast them for a few minutes. Allow to cool.
- Wash all the vegetables and fruit and cut in small pieces.
- Cook the asparagus for a couple of minutes in boiling water and cool in ice water to stop the cooking process and preserve the color.
- Peel the kiwi and slice.
- Make the dressing and transfer the dried cherries into the dressing, allowing them to soften a little.
- Mix all the vegetables, fruit, seeds, cherries and dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.