A filling salad full of flavor, crunchy green vegetables, tangy cheese and done in less than 20 minutes. This Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens can be served as a light dinner or lunch.
This salad can be eaten all year round, as the ingredients are available all year round.
- pearl couscous
- green peas
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
When it comes to salads, you can see in my recipes that I’m a great fan of combining grains with greens, fruits and vegetables and that most of my dressings are simple. For this recipe I selected couscous, a type of pasta instead. When you select the right combinations of flavors and textures there is often very little need for a dressing that involves a lot of ingredients and flavors. Too many flavors can overpower each other and dressings add unnecessary calories to a dish.
Substitutions for this salad:
- Pearl couscous – you can also use orzo or farro
- Feta- goat cheese would work well, or cottage cheese or ricotta. Or an Emmentaler cheese
- Green peas – green beans, slightly cooked can easily replace the green peas
- Parsley – mint or cilantro will add a different but equally interesting twist.
How to make this Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens? It is so simple. Cook the couscous according to the directions on the packaging. Add the peas the last 5 minutes. Rinse and cool. While the couscous cooks, cut the vegetable to a desired size and crumble the feta.
Chop the parsley and mix the oil, lemon juice and salt & pepper into a vinaigrette. When the couscous is cooled, mix everything and add salt & pepper to taste. That is all !
Your Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens is ready to serve.
Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens
- 1/2 cup pearl couscous
- 1/2 cup green peas frozen
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cucumber diced (skin on or off)
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil, add pearl couscous and cook for 8-10 minutes or according to directions on packaging.
- Add green peas the last 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to cool down. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Place crumbled feta, chopped vegetable, parsley and couscous/peas mix in a bowl.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper into a vinaigrette.
- Add vinaigrette to bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Instead of couscous, you can use orzo or farro
- Instead of feta, you can use goat cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese or a mild cheese like Emmentaler, Jarlsberg or Monterey Jack
- Instead of green peas, you can use green beans
- Instead of parsley, you can use mint or cilantro