A filling salad full of flavor, crunchy green vegetables, tangy cheese and done in less than 20 minutes. This Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens can be served as a light dinner or lunch.
This salad can be eaten all year round, as the ingredients are available all year round.
- pearl couscous
- green peas
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
When it comes to salads, you can see in my recipes that I’m a great fan of combining grains with greens, fruits and vegetables and that most of my dressings are simple. When you select the right combinations of flavors and textures there is often very little need for a dressing that involves a lot of ingredients and flavors. Too many flavors can overpower each other and dressings add unnecessary calories to a dish.
Substitutions for this salad:
- Pearl couscous – you can also use orzo or farro
- Feta- goat cheese would work well, or cottage cheese or ricotta. Or an Emmentaler cheese
- Green peas – green beans, slightly cooked can easily replace the green peas
- Parsley – mint or cilantro will add a different but equally interesting twist.
How to make this Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens? It is so simple. Cook the couscous according to the directions on the packaging. Add the peas the last 5 minutes. Rinse and cool. While the couscous cooks, cut the vegetable to a desired size and crumble the feta.
Chop the parsley and mix the oil, lemon juice and salt & pepper into a vinaigrette. When the couscous is cooled, mix everything and add salt & pepper to taste. That is all !
Your Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens is ready to serve.
Couscous Salad with Feta & Greens
- 1/2 cup pearl couscous
- 1/2 cup green peas frozen
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cucumber diced (skin on or off)
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil, add pearl couscous and cook for 8-10 minutes or according to directions on packaging.
- Add green peas the last 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to cool down. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Place crumbled feta, chopped vegetable, parsley and couscous/peas mix in a bowl.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper into a vinaigrette.
- Add vinaigrette to bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Instead of couscous, you can use orzo or farro
- Instead of feta, you can use goat cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese or a mild cheese like Emmentaler, Jarlsberg or Monterey Jack
- Instead of green peas, you can use green beans
- Instead of parsley, you can use mint or cilantro