A couscous arugula strawberry salad; the bitterness of the arugula is countered by the sweet strawberries, couscous adds body and the feta adds protein.
Summer is slowly slipping through our fingers; temperatures are getting lower at night, kids are almost back in school, but luckily summer is still around. Enough summer fruits, enough heat and humidity during the day, so let’s take advantage of it and enjoy another fruit salad and spent little time in the kitchen – a Couscous Arugula Strawberry Salad.
What goes into this salad?
I combined strawberries and arugula; the bitterness of the arugula is countered by the sweetness of the strawberries, added couscous for some body to the salad and feta for the necessary protein; poppy seeds in the dressing for the dot on the i’s; bummer no i’s in this recipe, still looks good to have the tiny black specks showing.
The feta I used was French Feta. I like it over the Greek or Bulgarian Feta in this salad, simply because it is less sharp and less salty. I believe that flavor differences are good, but not too many ingredients should compete for the attention of your taste buds at the same time. The French Feta is least briny, least salty the three, but you still know you’re eating feta.
This salad is great for lunch, or an appetizer or even as a light main dish. Soon we’ll be resorting to comfort food again, let’s hang on to light and summer-like dishes just a little longer.
Couscous Arugula Strawberry Salad
- 1/2 cup pearl couscous
- 1 cups strawberries
- 3 ounces arugula
- 3.5 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Cook the couscous according to the directions on the packaging and completely cool.
- Wash the arugula and the strawberries.
- Hull the strawberries and quarter them.
- Crumble the feta cheese.
- Mix white wine vinegar, honey, mustard and oil and whisk them into a dressing. Add salt and pepper and poppy seeds and mix again.
- Add all ingredients into a bowl, add the dressing and mix to coat.