This Whole Wheat Banana Bread would be a good enough reason to buy too many bananas on a weekly basis.
Whole Wheat may sound a little too healthy for some, but don’t be fooled, it’s a very flavorful, and moist bread and it’s not dense either. Really something you should try. Add nuts, dried fruits or chocolate if you like. Sounds delicious right, and not so healthy anymore. So let’s make it.
What are the ingredients:
Pretty straight forward, if you think about it and all in one bowl:
- Vegetable Oil
- Light or brown sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All purpose flour and whole wheat flour
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Salt and cinnamon
- Sugar and cinnamon as topping
Uploading this picture, makes me realize how delicious this bread is. As a nutritionist I learned how to appreciate whole wheat, but not only from a nutritional perspective. It is the flavor perspective and texture perspective that makes me continue to use whole wheat or whole grain very regularly. Flavor and texture are enhanced in this Whole Wheat Banana Bread, that’s a promise.
Other banana bread recipes you may like are Light Buttermilk Banana Bread or Moist Banana Pecan Muffins.
Give it a try. Recipe adapted from King Arthur Baking.
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 4-5 bananas mashed, 454 grams
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil 99 grams
- 1 cup light brown sugar dark brown sugar, 213 grams
- 2 eggs large
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 120 grams
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 113 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F and line a cake form (9×5 inches) with parchment paper. (NOTE 1)
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed bananas, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. (NOTE 2)
- In another bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda and baking powder, salt and cinnamon. (NOTE 3)
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix thoroughly until well combined, without any dry flour patches.
- Transfer the mixture into the cake form and level it.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle that over the top of the banana bread.
- Bake this Whole Wheat Banana Bread in the oven for 60-75 minutes. Insert a thin knife or a toothpick in the center and when it comes out clean the bread is done. (NOTE 4 and 5)
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the form for about 15 minutes. Then lift it out of the form on a rack to cool further.
- Slice and enjoy!
- First spray the cake form with a little bit of cooking spray and then place the parchment paper inside. The cooking spray will hold the parchment paper, so it won’t roll up on you, while you try to pour the batter in the cake form.
- Using dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar results in a slightly darker bread. Taste-wise there is very little difference in this banana bread.
- Weighing your ingredients in baking recipes is always more accurate than measuring them in cups.
- You can also measure the temperature of the bread to determine whether it is done. In the center of the bread the temperature should read 205 degrees F.
- If the bread is already brown but not yet done, cover the cake form with aluminum foil for the rest of the baking.