Enjoy this super easy fresh corn pasta while you can; sweet corn is still widely available and you won’t regret making it.
It’s not only tomatoes that scream summer, fresh corn has that same effect and this simple pasta recipe is full of it. It’s creamy without a heavy cheese sauce, something we like so much during colder months. It is the fresh corn in the form of kernels and corn puree that make up the lion part of this pasta.
The other ingredients of the Fresh Corn Orecchiette are:
- Pasta – obviously! I’ve chosen Orecchiette pasta; that shape holds the kernels nicely
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated or shaved
I recently bought a blender and now I am trying all sorts of ways to use this small appliance. So, making a puree or sauce from corn came to mind. That’s what I tried and low and behold it worked; I shouldn’t be too surprised I guess, corn is a grain; it has binding properties.
I didn’t blend all the corn as biting into a juicy kernel is half the fun of eating corn. This Fresh Corn Orecchiette pasta dish is flavorful, creamy, lots of texture (depending on how much corn you blend into a sauce) and summery. Oh yeah, fast and simple as well.
Fresh Corn Orecchiette
- 2 ears sweet corn shucked
- 4 ounces pasta orecchiette or other small pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3-4 scallions chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano grated
- salt and pepper
- Boil water and salt in a pan (large enough to hold to ears of corn). Add the ears and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Take the ears out of the water and allow to cool
- Add the pasta to the hot 'corn water' and cook the pasta according to the directions on the packaging.
- Remove the kernels from the corn.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and add the scallions and the corn. Cook for a few minutes to soften the scallions.
- Transfer most of the scallion/corn mixture into a blender and pulse until you have a sausy substance. Add pasta water if needed to thin out the puree/sauce.
- Drain the pasta and transfer back in to the pan, add the corn puree as well as the reserved kernels.
- Mix with grated Parmesan cheese and finely chopped parsley.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.