Creamy, airy and tart; this is the best description for this Tart Rhubarb Dessert Mousse. A deliciously refreshing dessert, that does not take many skills to put together.
This dessert only has rhubarb as fruit/vegetable ingredient; no strawberries (only for decoration). Rhubarb and strawberries are a very popular combination. With the help of a (immersion) blender or food processor you can get rid of the stringy texture of the rhubarb and have a smooth vegetable, that is perfect for a mousse.
Clearly the Tart Rhubarb Dessert Mousse has only one texture; a smooth one, but you can add some raw rhubarb sticks to make up for that. Or mix small pieces of raw rhubarb through the mousse if you like.
You can see on the spoon how fluffy the mousse is. That comes mostly from the egg white and the whipped cream.
Rhubarb is a funny vegetable; it is often used as if it is a fruit. Rhubarb is very popular in pies, crumbles and cobblers, scones and cakes. Cooking improves the flavor of rhubarb for most who cannot enjoy the super tartness of the raw stalk.
I love rhubarb cooked until it is tender, without any else, no sugar, no honey, nothing; it is seriously irresistible. Once cooled, my mother used to serve it as a side dish and it was always a treat in our house, when I was young.
Tart Rhubarb Dessert Mousse
- 8 ounces rhubarb
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Clean the rhubarb and cut it in 1-inch pieces. Transfer them to a saucepan, add the grapefruit juice and cover.
- Whip egg white until stiff and do the same with the cream to which you add the vanilla extract.
- Cook rhubarb until it boils, then reduce heat to medium low and cook until tender. This is about 3 minutes.Transfer mixture to a blender or bowl, so you can use your immersion mixer. Add sugar, salt and cardamom and blend until smooth
- Add egg yolk and return to saucepan. Cook until is starts to thicken after about 3 minutes. Whisk constantly. Allow to cool.
- Once the rhubarb mix is cooled, add the egg white and fold egg white into the rhubarb. Then add the whipped cream and fold until combined.
- Divide over bowl, cups or ramekins.
- Decorate with rhubarb, strawberries and/or mint.