All it takes are super thin apple slices, a citrus dressing, caramelized nuts and vanilla ice cream. Apple Carpaccio with Ice Cream is a light dessert with just a scoop of indulgence.
This dessert is simple to make, especially when you have a mandoline. Cutting the apple this thin with a knife will require some skill. The thinner the slices the nicer the dish.
- When the slices are thick, you really eat an apple. Let’s be clear, there is nothing wrong with eating an apple. But when the slices are paper thin, you have a better mix of all the flavors.
- When the slices are thin, you can do more with them. You can fold them, without breaking, and the plates look fuller, more impressive.
The fruity ingredients of this recipe are: apple, lemon, orange and pomegranate.
Most important decision for this recipe is the apple
- Find an apple that adds color to your dessert.
- Pick an apple that will fit in your mandoline. You can cut the apple in half and slice, but whole apple slices are more beautiful.
- Select the flavor of the apple – this is very personal.
- Decide whether you like an apple with a thick or thin skin – also personal
I used a McIntosh apple. I selected on color first and size second. Then I had a ‘cue card’ with me, with the different apple characteristics. In general, my 2 favorite apples are Granny Smith and Honeycrips, but beyond those, I need help, hence the cue card.
The Granny Smith was a no-go, because of the color and I couldn’t find small, nicely colored honeycrisp apples.
How to make Apple Carpaccio with Ice Cream
- Start with caramelizing pumpkin seeds. Roast them first, then sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and bake again until crisp. Cool the seeds. Pumpkin seeds are not a must, you can use pine nuts or pecans.
- Mix lemon and orange juice – this is the ‘dressing’
- Slice the cored apple on a mandoline as thin as possible.
- Divide slices over 2 plates, poor citrus juice over the apple slices. This is the dressing and it will prevent the apple from turning brown.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, the caramelized pumpkin seeds and orange zest.
- A scoop of ice cream in the center. Vanilla will do, as the is enough variety in flavor.
- Drizzle with honey and garnish with fresh mint.
Apple Carpaccio with Ice Cream
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- 1 apple cored, NOT peeled
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 orange juice and zest
- 1/2 pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 scoops ice cream vanilla
- Place the pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. with pumpkin seeds in the oven. Take out of the oven when it reaches 350 degrees. Seeds should be roasted. Adjust according to your oven.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds with confectioner’s sugar and place baking sheet back in the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Every now and then hustle the seeds and sugar until the sugar sticks and start to caramelize. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Mix lemon and orange juice.
- Slice the cored apple as thin as possible, making use of a mandoline. Slice from top to bottom, so you have a circle with a hole in the center. Divide the apple slices over 2 plates. Poor the citrus juice over the apple slices, this is the ‘dressing’ and will prevent the apple from turning brown.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds and orange zest over the apple slices. Place a scoop of ice cream in the center.
- Drizzle with a little bit of honey and garnish with freshly chopped mint.
- 1. Instead of pumpkin seeds, you can use pine nuts or pecans.