Drizzle slices of orange and red grapefruit with balsamic vinegar and you’ll have a very simple salad or appetizer. Don’t let the simplicity fool you, this Citrus Salad with Balsamic Vinegar is healthy. Vitamins, fluids, fiber are all important daily nutrients.
It’s summer time, so let your meals be a reflection of that happy season. This salad has a sunny disposition; each slice of orange or grapefruit might as well represent the sun. It is also light, low in calories, full of vitamin C and A, fibers and don’t forget the fluid part. Citrus also provides phytochemicals and lycopene, both have anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties.
This Citrus Salad with Balsamic Vinegar is incredibly easy to make. Basically all you need is a good knife and that’s it.
To prepare the orange and grapefruit for this salad is the only work you need to do. The more often you do it, the better you get at it. I prefer to use a small knife, like a paring knife or a fillet knife that is flexible. With larger knife you may get slices that are less round; especially when you not yet that experienced. As long as you try to cut away the rind and the pith. The latter is the bitter part. Start with a shallow cut, you can always cut around the fruit again. When you start thick you may cut too much away. Don’t forget to take that tiny white fuss out of the center of the slice.
Once you have cut both the orange and the grapefruit, arrange the slices the way you prefer. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle some roughly cut mint over the salad. Ready to serve.
Do you want more recipes with citrus fruit. Have a look at Citrus, Chicken and Greens Salad, Creamy Pasta with Citrus and Tarragon, or White Chocolate Mousse with Mandarin.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #agourmetfoodblog on Instagram. Enjoy, friends!
Citrus Salad with Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 orange
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh mint roughly chopped
- Peel the orange and the grapefruit. Use a sharp knife and cut off the ends. Then carefully cut downwards, following the curve of the fruit and remove skin and pith. Start thin and see how thick the skin is. Adjust for the next cuts.
- Cut the orange and the grapefruit in slices, try to get the same thickness for all.
- Transfer the slices to a serving place, alternate orange and grapefruit slices.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with roughly chopped fresh mint leaves.