September; the days are already visibly shortening, but here in Woodstock, GA it is still 93 degrees. Salmon with Orange Maple Mustard Glaze on the grill, while we still can. Oh my lord, when is the summer going to end. I surprised myself by saying this; I love the heat, but this year, the summer is hotter than ever and it seems longer as well.
It is the time of the year we should start thinking about stocking up wood for the fire place, prepping for Halloween, thinking about Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas decorations, spiced apple cider, pumpkin recipes, pecan pies, casseroles. Instead, I’m cranking up the airco, thinking about another light dinner, and Halloween seems like eons away, even though it is just around the corner.
Hot outside? Let’s cook outside, that keeps the cool in. This Salmon with Orange Maple Mustard Glaze is delicious. Little prep time and with a baked potato you’ll have yourself a meal.
I like using the cedar grilling planks and cooking your fish adds just a subtle flavor and little to no mess. Adapted from Fire & Flavor recipe.
There are two crucial parts to this recipe. Soaking the plank, so it does not catch on fire and will transfer some of the flavor into the fish. The second is the cooking time of the fish. This all depends on the thickness of the fillet, so it may be longer than the 25 minutes indicated in the recipe.
When eating fish, I always have a few slices or wedges of lemon handy, because it often elevates the flavor of the fish.
Salmon with Orange Maple Mustard Glaze
- 8 ounces salmon
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 spring onions
- salt and pepper
- 3 slices orange
- 1 cedar grilling plank
- Soak the cedar grilling plank in water, according to directions.
- Cut spring onions in thin slices, wash them and pat dry.
- Cut the orange in half and cut thin slices.
- Prepare the glaze: mix mustard, maple syrup, orange juice, orange zest and spring onions.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and apply glaze to one side of the salmon.
- Place plank on grill and heat from a few minutes. Place the salmon on the plank (skin side down, glaze side up) and place 3-4 slices of orange on top of the glaze.
- Close you grill and grill the salmon for approx. 20-25 minutes, all depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Remove plank from grill, cut salmon and serve.