Do you love to grill fish as much as I do? Having a go-to spice blend handy will make your life easier. This Hot or Mild Fish Spice Rub is a combination of warm flavors that will uplift the aromas of the fish you’re preparing.
Everybody needs a rub to fall back on when the intended mix fails. For me, it is this Hot or Mild Fish Spice Rub. I often prepare fish on the grill, because it is easy, healthy and fast. My favorite days to prepare fish like this are the weekend days. My week days are usually over floating with work and cooking dinner is just part of the day. On weekend days, when I try to relax, I use my days to experiment by cooking something new or doing just the opposite, not thinking about food at all and then at the last moment, ooops, gotta cook. Those relaxing weekend days are perfect for grilling fish.
There is not really a recipe for this Hot or Mild Fish Spice Rub; it is a matter of mixing the spices: cumin, coriander, curry and chili powder. The thing I may do differently, than others who create spice blends, is that I do NOT add salt and pepper to the mix; I always apply salt and pepper first and then the rub. I have 2 reasons for this:
- Salt and pepper are important for the end-flavor of your fish, so I want to make sure that I do not over-salt or under-salt. Different fishes may need different amount of salt and pepper.
- Everybody can have their own preference for the amount of salt and pepper, or even no salt. Mixing it in with the spices makes that difficult.
So, this is all there is to say about making a rub. I love the flavor of hot curry, especially in combination with coriander and cumin, spice with warmth, but if that’s too much for you, pick a mild curry and you’ll have the same effect of warmth, just no spicy punch.
Hot or Mild Fish Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder hot or mild
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- This rub is enough for about 1 pound of fish.
- Mix cumin, coriander, curry and chili powder.
- Prepare the fish and apply salt and pepper as per your preference.
- Then apply spice rub and prepare fish on grill, griddle, stove top of oven.