The other day I bought too many avocados and thought of a pasta dish that did not include avocado sauce; I wanted to see and eat pieces of avocado, so just cubed them. Chicken, bell pepper and white wine sauce added to the pasta and voila: Orecchiette with Chicken and Avocado. Of course there is a little more to it, but not much.
This is one of those recipe that you make on the fly and keep track of what you add, so you can share it. Often when I make pasta, especially when the size of the pasta is relative small, I tend to cut the ingredients more or less the same size as the pasta. Why? I guess it looks nice, you have a change to have all ingredients on your fork or spoon. Talking about fork or spoon…
How do you eat your pasta? With knife and fork, knife and spoon, spoon and fork? I prefer a fork over a spoon, even with small pasta forms. With a fork your bites are smaller. I come from a family of fast eaters, so whatever I can do to slow myself down is a plus. I also feel that it tastes better with a fork – total nonsense, I know, but that’s just what I feel.
There is not much to explain about this Orecchiette with Chicken and Avocado recipe. Cut chicken, avocado and bell pepper to a size similar to the orecchiette. Chopp shallot fine. Cook pasta in water, bake chicken in garlic butter, as well as the shallot and bell pepper. Make wine sauce, mix and season.
Orecchiette with Chicken and Avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon garlic and parsley butter
- 4 ounces orechiette pasta
- 2 shallots
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 avocados
- Mix the spices, salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken breast in small cubes and rub the cubes with the spice.
- Chop shallots fine and cut green bell pepper the same size as the chicken.
- Chop the avocado in cubes, the same size as the chicken.
- Warm the chicken stock.
- Heat the garlic butter in a pan and cook the chicken, until fully cooked.
- Bring water and salt to a boil and add the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the direction on the packaging.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and keep it warm. Add the shallots and green bell pepper in the pan.
- Bake shallot and bell pepper until softer. Add the white wine and warm it in the pan, loosening all brown pieces in the pan, while absorbing the chicken flavor.
- Add the flour and whisk until you have a roux.Then add the chicken stock and form a sauce.
- Drain the pasta. Add pasta to the pan.
- Add chicken back into the pan, followed by the avocado cubes.
- Toss everything and allow to warm a little.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.