Crunchy Tiger Bread is a bread with a crust of rice flour paste that cracks during baking and will look like a tiger print. We call this a tiger bread. The darker you bake the bread the crunchier the crust and oh boy that crust is delicious.
This bread is delicious and when I was young it was a treat when my mother bought these tiger buns for lunch. Often, I ate the crust, before I took my first bite of the sandwich. Traditionally, this rice flour paste is used on white bread, but it tastes equally good on whole wheat or whole grain, sweet bread; really any type of bread. Do know that the paste is slightly sweet because it is a mix of rice flour and sugar.
I would suggest that you try the coating on your favorite bread recipe, because that way you know that your bread recipe works and that the only change you need to make is creating the paste and bake the bread.
My favorite bread recipe is the master recipe from the book ‘The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day’ by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. So that is my starting point. The rice paste is the crunchy part of the bread, the treat to create the Crunchy Tiger Bread.
All you have to do is combine yeast, sugar, oil, salt and white rice flour, allow it to rise a little and than ‘paint’ the top of the bread with the paste. Bake the bread as you’re used to do and you’ll see it comes out like a tiger print. I used olive oil, but I am sure any other oil will do as well and as you can see in the recipe, I used 1 tablespoon of sugar. If you want the mixture to be slightly sweeter, use 2 tablespoons. This coating may be a nice alternative for a muffin, just saying; you’ll have a tiger muffin. I have not tried this, it just comes to mind.
Give it a try once, it is really simple and you’ll have an additional bread recipe in your arsenal that is not complicated, but does add a different flavor and texture.
Crunchy Tiger Bread
- 1.5 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Rice Flour Paste
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- Add yeast and sugar to water and allow yeast mixture to become bubbly.
- Add salt and flour and mix until you have a uniform mixture.
- Cover bowl and allow dough to rise at room temperature for about 2-3 hours.
- Mix the ingredients for the crunchy crust in a bowl, cover the bowl and allow this to rise as well at room temperature.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and dust with corn meal.
- Cut the dough in half and shape each half into a round loaf and place loaves on parchment paper.
- 'Paint' rice flour paste on top of each loaf, spread it to completely coat the entire loaf.
- Bake loaf for approx. 20 minutes.