Are you up for a lovely lunch, or big breakfast or brunch, then this Good Morning Glory Grilled Cheese is for you. It is a complete meal; the whole nine yards; whole grain bread with bacon, fruit, cheese, avocado and an egg. Piled up high for a colorful, flavorful and mouthful of deliciousness.
Grilled cheese is a fun sandwich to make, especially when you have the choice of many different type of cheese, like we have here in the US. I created this recipe and competed in the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Competition. I was not one of the lucky few, but what do they say, participation is more important than winning?
I wanted to make a grilled cheese sandwich that was breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner if you like. So it needed to have some breakfast-y ingredients. I think you can see all the layers in this picture:
Whole grain bread is my bread of choice, so that’s my starting point. As the bottom layer, I picked an extremely creamy soft cheese, Butterkase, followed by a few strips of bacon and slices of avocado. Then another cheese, Bread Cheese, this is a cheese similar to Halloumi; it becomes soft, but does not really melt. Next! Slices of strawberries and finished with a fried egg, with runny yolk, sprinkled with salt and pepper.
I know there are many ways to make a grilled cheese; butter or oil, butter the bread, butter in the skillet; microwave, or oven or even toaster. My winning combination is using dense bread, and baking in a skillet with butter. It does not matter whether you use white or whole wheat or whole grain, they tend to respond the same, but the density of the bread is important. Dense bread does not absorb the butter as quickly as more loosely baked bread and will bake brown while the cheese has time to melt.
How to eat this Good Morning Glory Grilled Cheese is a whole different question? May be it is a suggestion to watch Food Networks Diners Drive-ins and Dives and see how Guy Fieri does it 🙂
Good Morning Glory Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 6 ounces butterkase
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 whole avocado
- 6 ounces bread cheese
- 6 whole strawberry
- 2 whole egg
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- Cut Butterkase in thin slices. Cut two thin 3 oz. slices from a larger piece of bread cheese.
- Clean avocado and strawberries and cut in thin slices.
- Bake bacon strips in skillet, until brown and crispy. Drain on kitchen towel to get rid of excess fat.
- When bacon is almost done, start building grilled cheese.
- Heat butter in another skillet. Place butterkase on 2 slices of bread and add those slices to skillet. As soon as bread is browning, turn down heat, allowing butterkase to melt.
- Add second slices of bread to skillet as well as bread cheese, separately.
- Place bacon on top of butterkase, then on top of that the avocado slices.
- Single bread slices can be taken out of skillet and break eggs in left-over spot. Keep yolk intact (sunny side up).
- By now the bread cheese is soft and can be transferred on top of the avocado.
- Next layer is strawberry and when the white of the egg is cooked just done, add the egg on top of the strawberries and finish with bread.