This Baked Apple Dessert with Cold Vanilla Sauce is a simple recipe, and it is really fun to eat. Fun in the sense of the combination of temperatures. Burning-lip hot apple sauce and relief, pamper cold vanilla sauce fun.
This is comfort food, comfort dessert. I can already picture you, devouring this dessert on the sofa, in front on the fire place, thick socks on your feet and a cashmere throw wrapped around you. Eating this dessert makes you warm and cold on the inside and outside.
You know what I like about winter, even here in Georgia, is the prospect of burning wood in the fire place. I just love that and I know we are still far away from winter, but I’ll advise to keep this recipe handy.
You are expecting exquisite pictures; but the best way to serve this dessert is on a plate. The apple part of the recipe is close to an apple sauce and the cold sauce is liquid as well. Put those together on a plate and it does not make for a very good picture. The recipe is simple, but I want to share it with you, because I think you’re gonna like it.
Which apples to use?
Anyone you like. I used a combination of sweet and sour and soft and hard apples. The result is a ‘coarse’ apple sauce that is not overly sweet. Once the apples are cooked, stir with a wooden spoon, but don’t overdo it. Your end result should be sauce with larger chunks. The amount of sugar you’ll add, if you need to add any, will logically influence the flavor, and your waist line.
I always make the sauce ahead and allow it to cool overnight, so it is r e a l l y cold. Once the apples are done baking, serve it immediately with the ice cold vanilla sauce. Baked Apple Dessert with Cold Vanilla Sauce
Baked Apple Dessert with Cold Vanilla Sauce
- 2 pounds apples of your choice
- 1 tablespoon sugar if desired
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split open
- Make the vanilla sauce a day ahead.
- Heat the cream and sugar with the vanilla bean and simmer it for approx. 10 minutes.
- Thicken it with the cornstarch and allow the sauce to cool. Keep the sauce in the fridge until you serve the dessert.
- Make the baked apples. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and core the apples and cut them in small pieces.
- Put the apples in a pot, add just a tiny bit of water and boil the apples for approx.10 minutes (cooking time depends on the type of apples you use).
- Add the sugar and stir until you reached the desired consistency.
- Put apple mixture in a dish and cover it with a mixture of sugar, cinnamon and pour melted butter on top.
- Place dish in oven and bake for approx. 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with ice-cold vanilla sauce.