Peaches n Cream is known for it delicious simplicity, and so is a clafouti. What is better than merge these 2 together and have a delicious simple French dessert with a Southern twist – Peaches n Cream Clafouti is born.
I am always surprised how something so simple as a clafouti can taste like a million bucks. When you start making this dessert, it does not look like much. Like a custard with fruit and may be that’s what it is, but the fluffy result, especially when you eat it as soon as you can handle the temperature, makes it just delicious.
At the moment the Georgia peaches are delicious. They are juicy and soft and I bought way too many. Is there a thing that you can buy too much fruit? I guess only when you can’t eat it before it turns bad. Preventing that from happening, I used 1.5 pounds of peaches, a little more than the usual 1 pound. I could have done a better job in making this clafouti look pretty, but taste-wise it is delicious.
The cream part of this Peaches n Cream Clafouti comes from the heavy cream I used in addition to milk, as apposed to only milk, however I have also seen recipes that use sour cream. I used 1% milk and heavy cream, trying to avoid more fat than necessary.
What I learned when using a little bit more fruit than usual, is that you risk that the fruit is falling through the batter when you take it out of the pie dish, so I made just a little bottom first. Pour 1/3 of the batter in the pie dish, allow that to set in the oven for about 10 minutes. Then load that thin layer with your fruit and pour the rest of the batter over it and place it back in the oven for the final bake. This method is not a must; I think it depends on the weight of fruit you add.
But the result is there – a fruity fluffiness. A clafouti reminds me of a pancake loaded with fruit. What do you think?
Sprinkle with some powdered sugar and you’ll be in heaven. A wonderful dessert that is not heavy at all; a nice way to end a meal. It would also be a wonderful breakfast or lunch or just a snack. Enjoy!
Peaches n Cream Clafouti
- 1.5 pounds peach
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2.5 tablespoons whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and butter a 9-inch pie dish.
- Peel the peaches and sliced them thin around the pit.
- Place flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, salt, eggs and cream in a bowl and mix. Add the milk and mix again.
- Pour approx. 1/3 of the batter into the pie dish and bake in the oven until set. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with the peach slices. Place the slices in circles, and add a second layer if you have fruit left.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and pour the rest of the batter over the fruit.
- Bake in oven until golden yellow, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
- Serve warm or cold.