This rainbow farro salad is put together in very little time and even though simple in nature far from ordinary. Boring or ordinary salads are absolute a thing from the past. Think about it, there are so many combinations of flavors, textures, colors, aromas of vegetables, fruits, grains, cheese, meats and dressings, why would we ever eat boring salads again.
Eating the colors of the rainbow is healthy and this salad will get you on your way. The colors it represents are green, red, orange, yellow. This rainbow farro salad also contains protein in the form of cheese and fiber in the form of farro. It goes without saying that a variety of flavors and textures is present as well.
Ingredients of this salad
- Red – tomatoes
- Yellow – bell peppers
- Orange – bell peppers
- Green – cucumber
- Green – parsley
- Brown – farro
- White – feta cheese
We’ll add phytonutrients to our diet when we eat the rainbow colors. Phytonutrients are found in plants and fruits and have an anti-cancer and anti-heart disease effect. So, by making colorful salads you basically help yourself become stronger. It’s not about getting all the colors in one meal, just in one day would be perfect.
Alternative rainbow ingredients
- Red – bell pepper, cherry, hot pepper, red grapefruit, radish, strawberry, red apple, pomegranate
- Yellow – lemon, mango, banana, pineapple, passion fruit, ginger, corn
- Orange – apricot, sweet potato, pumpkin, orange, persimmons
- Green – avocado, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, chard, peas, asparagus, herbs, sprouts,
- Purple/blue – blueberry, beet, eggplant, blackberry, plum, red cabbage
This list of just an example of the varieties you’ll have to make a healthy salad, to emphasize that creating a healthy salad should not be too difficult.
Instead of feta in this Rainbow Farro Salad, you can use goat cheese, blue cheese, halloumi, cheddar or cheese curds instead. Alternative fiber rich grains are: bulgur wheat, barley, brown rice, steel-cut oats, quinoa and freekeh.
Enjoy this salad and let me know what you think.
Rainbow Farro Salad
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1 cup small tomatoes
- 1/2 bell pepper yellow and orange
- 1/2 cucumber
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- lemon juice squeezed from 1/4 lemon
- salt & pepper
- Cook the farro according to the directions on the packaging. Then rinse and cool.
- Cut the tomatoes in half or in quarters.
- Cut the bell pepper in cubes or small strips.
- Peel the cucumber. (NOTE 1) and cut it into cubes.
- Chop the parsley and crumble the feta.
- Make the dressing by mixing all ingredients.
- Once the farro is cooled, add all vegetables/fruits. Mix and add the dressing and mix again.
- A cucumber does not need to be peeled. It is totally find to eat it with peel on. Or you may want to add some color by alternate cutting the peel off, using the vegetable peeler and run it top to bottom. Skip half an inch and then cut a peel of again. Leaving you with a ‘zebra’ skin on/off look.