Various shades of green make up this Green Rice Salad with Avocado Grapes and Cucumber. This vegan rice salad is remarkably refreshing and light and is made in less than 20 minutes.
Don’t you love it when salad ideas and inspiration come together so well? This green salad combination was inspired by InHarvest, the people who provide us with this green Bamboo Rice.
I love rice and grains, especially the ones that are just a tad different from the norm. Check out my Bamboo Rice Ring with Chicken Tomato Ragu; a warm meal with the same rice. Rice and grains, are like pasta and bread, a blank canvas. It all depends on your preparation and combination of ingredients what the end result will be.
This is really as simple as it sounds. Cook the rice and allow it to cool completely or until lukewarm. Cook the rice with just the right amount of water. Too much water, and you will need to drain it and with that a lot of the green color will be leave with the water.
While the rice cooks, cut the cucumber, the avocado, the grapes and the apple. Leave the skin on the cucumber and the apple, so they will add more color to the salad. Mix a simple vinaigrette, from oil and lemon juice. You don’t need any fancy dressing; a variety of flavors are coming from the fruit and vegetables, no need to cover them with a strong dressing. The vinaigrette will balance the flavors.
For some additional variety, you can add green melon, or some small peas.
Green Rice Salad with Avocado Grapes and Cucumber
- 2/3 cup Bamboo Rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 English Cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red apple
- 10-12 green grapes
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Bring water to a boil, add the Bamboo rice and cook for 12 minutes on simmer. Cool until desired temperature.
- Wash the cucumber, and leave the skin on. Cut in half lengthwise and then cut half moon slices.
- Wash the grapes and cut in half. Dice the avocado. Cut the apple (skin on) in slices.
- Make a salad dressing by mixing olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
- Mix all part, except some of the apple slices. Divide over 2 plates and stick the few apple slices you kept apart into the salad for a nice color effect. Decorate with a sprig or 2 of cilantro and serve.