Serve a bowl of salad with this Sweet Potato Slab Pie with Sausage & Mozzarella and you have meal that will bring variety to your table. A variety to the traditional combination of meat, vegetables and potatoes.
Haha, how long ago was that? A plate with 3 parts, a vegetable, potato/rice/pasta and meat/egg/fish. Cannot recall, can you? I love to create healthy dishes that are fun, quick and easy to make, different from the ordinary, and delicious, all at the same time. When your base is sweet potato, you already take a step on the healthy path. You know there are actually very few unhealthy natural foods. It is the quantity and combination of ingredients that can be unhealthy, or a man-made product can be unhealthy, but at this moment I cannot come up with any truly unhealthy natural product. I know there are different opinions with respect to this, but this is my humble opinion. The opinion of a person who does not turn anything down; first try before you judge.
This Sweet Potato Slab Pie with Sausage & Mozzarella contains obviously sweet potatoes on a pastry dough, with mozzarella, chicken sausage, sun-dried tomatoes and basil.
Look at these vibrant colors; isn’t it gorgeous? You would almost say it is a pity that heating this pie will change its color, but if we don’t heat it, it won’t be edible. After preparing sweet potatoes, they are delicious; creamy, soft or crunchy (depending how you prepare them), caramel flavor.
Make this Sweet Potato Slab Pie with Sausage & Mozzarella your next Saturday, you are done quickly and add toppings of your choice. Like bell pepper, hot pepper, more cheese, fresh tomato, corn, etc, etc. Go for it and will enjoy this pie with friends and family.
Sweet Potato Slab Pie with Sausage & Mozzarella
- 1 whole sweet potato
- 1/2 package pastry dough
- olive oil
- 4 ounces chicken sausage
- 4 ounces Mozzarella cheese
- 2 halves sun-dried tomato
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover a baking sheet (9 x 12 inches) with parchment paper. Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to fit the baking sheet. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut them from end to end in very thin slices; using a mandoline or cut by hand.
- Place potato slices on the dough, allow edges to slightly overlap.
- Drizzle potato slices with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and coriander.
- Discard casing from sausage and cut sausage in small pieces. Divide pieces over potatoes.
- Slice mozzarella and divide over potatoes, do not cover sausage.
- Tear basil leaves by hand and divide over pie.
- Place pie in oven and bake for approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle some basil over baked pie just before serving.