To make a vegetable and fruit rainbow salad you don’t need fancy and expensive ingredients. Select a variety of colors from readily available fruit and vegetables. You’ll have many choices to make a beautiful salad.
Certain recipes make me happy by just looking at them, others because of their taste, aroma or how they came out of a baking dish or mold. This salad is clearly a smile-producing recipe because of the colors. It is also really simple, once you have the ingredients, it is a matter of cutting them to your desired size and/or shape. You can mix a simple vinaigrette, but in all honesty, it does not really need a dressing. There is enough variety in texture and flavor to make it interesting and tasteful.
The ingredients for this Vegetable and Fruit Rainbow Salad are:
- Butter lettuce or Boston Lettuce. Any type of lettuce will do
- Purple potatoes
- Yellow bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
The preparation of this salad is very simple. Cut the vegetables and fruit, if necessary. The way you cut them may add some extra dimension to the salad. I’ve opted to tear the lettuce, quarter the cherry tomatoes and julienne the carrot. Cut the potatoes in small cubes, as well as the avocado and bell pepper. Make half moon slices from the radishes; cut them in half and then slice thin. The blueberries are kept whole.
As far as dressing is concerned. No dressing required. There is enough variety in texture and flavor that a dressing is not really necessary. Do you prefer a dressing, make a simple vinaigrette; a mixture of oil (3-4 parts) and vinegar (1 part), salt and pepper.
Another great and colorful salad is my Strawberry Mango Avocado Salad. Perfect for this time of year.
Vegetable and Fruit Rainbow Salad
- 1/2 head butter or Boston lettuce any green lettuce will do
- 8 ounces purple potatoes cooked and peeled
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup baby carrots
- salt and pepper
- 1 part vinegar
- 3-4 parts oil
- salt and pepper
- Tear the clean lettuce leaves.
- Cube the potatoes, avocado and bell pepper.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes and julienne the carrots.
- Cut the radishes in half and then slice them thin.
- No need to cut the blueberries
- Mix everything together gently. Don't overmix.
- You can leave it as such or drizzle with a simple vinaigrette
- To make the vinaigrette, mix 1 part vinegar with 3-4 parts of oil and add salt and pepper to taste.