Zucchini Carrot Fritters are easy to make. They are a healthy way to get vegetables in your menu. Their colorful appearance will light up your dinner plate.
Since it is still zucchini season, I wanted to use this vegetable in fritters. An alternative way to serve those greens. Instead of plain zucchini fritters, I added carrots. Not only for the color, the flavor, the texture, but also for the nutrients.
Both vegetables have a low caloric value, contain no fat, lots of water and fiber, especially when you eat the skin. They also have B vitamins, vitamin A and C, and K, and minerals, like potassium and manganese. Last but not least, anti-oxidants are present as well.
How to make Zucchini Carrot Fritters
Shred equal amounts of zucchini and carrots on a box grater or in a food processor. I used 8 oz. of zucchini and 8 oz. of carrots. This makes about 6-8 fritters. Grate them coarse, not fine. You want pieces of the vegetables, something to chew on; you don’t want mushy patties.
Sprinkle the zucchini with salt, mix and let is sit for about 10 minutes. The salt will draw the liquid out of the zucchini. Then squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Use your hands; grab small amounts, the size of a tennis ball and squeeze. You can also use a kitchen towel, if you prefer.
Combine zucchini, carrot, flour, baking powder, an egg, chopped chives and salt and pepper and combine. Form small patties and transfer to a plate. Try to make them the same size, so they need the same time to cook.
Heat oil in a skillet and cook until golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side. Each side takes about 3 minutes, but it may be more or less, depending on the thickness of your patties.
Don’t overcrowd the skillet, you don’t want steam to build up and cook the fritters. You want to pan-fry them and end up with nice and crispy fritters.
Serve the Zucchini Carrot Fritters with some creme fraiche or sour cream or drained yogurt and Enjoy!
You can make these fritters ahead of time. Keep them chilled in the fridge for a couple of days or you can freeze them for a few months in a well-sealed container. When you’re ready to use them, simply spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake them in a 375 degree F. oven until they’re hot and crisp again.
Zucchini Carrot Fritters
- 8 ounces zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces carrots
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Shred the zucchini on a box grater or in a food processor. Add salt, mix and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as you can. Use your hands or a kitchen towel. Discard the liquid.
- Grate carrots on a box grater or in a food processor and add to the zucchini.
- Add egg, flour, baking powder, chopped chives and some salt and pepper to taste and combine.
- Form equal patties of the mix and heat oil in a skillet.
- Place about 4 patties in the oil and pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side. Do the same with the other 4 patties.
- Serve the Zucchini Carrot Fritters with a dollop of creme fraiche, sour cream or drained yogurt.
- Grate the vegetables coarse; it will give more flavor and texture to the fritters.
- This recipe will make about 8 patties, but of course you can make them thicker or thinner. Make sure you adjust the pan-frying time.