This Melon Cantaloupe Prosciutto Salad is a fruit salad with benefits. A fruit salad with just a little bit of protein, plenty of flavor and juice; very refreshing.
Honeydew melon and cantaloupe are a perfect way to start your day. Just a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the fruity part of your breakfast is taken care of.
If you want to take it a step further, like I did, add some cheese and meat. The cheeses in this Melon Cantaloupe Prosciutto Salad are Mozzarella and Parmagiano Reggiano. The meat is prosciutto, as you already suspected.
Tweaking a traditional salad
There are all kinds of way to make a traditional salad a tiny bit different and thus less boring:
- add one or more ingredients
- cut the ingredients in a different way
- shapes and forms influence your taste perception
- a different look may be appealing
- change the dressing, or refrain from adding a dressing
- add something sweet to a savory salad or savory to a sweet salad
- add a different texture
- a dry crunch at the last moment, like bacon, crisps, fries
- a pasta, rice or other grain
- a yogurt of ricotta
- add another color into the mix
The ingredients of this Melon Cantaloupe Prosciutto Salad are honeydew melon, cantaloupe, small mozzarella balls, prosciutto ham, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, lemon juice and basil. Very simple.
I showed a few ways to diversify your salad, but I doubt whether this salad will become boring. The season for good ripe melons and cantaloupes is not forever; the peak is June-August, so enjoy then while you can. See my other fruit salad with melon from last month; Juicy Green Fruit Bowl Salad.
This salad would also be great for lunch, an appetizer or an antipasto party. You have nutty cheese flavor, sweet melon and salty prosciutto.
Melon Cantaloupe Prosciutto Salad
- 1/4 honeydew melon
- 1/4 cantaloupe
- 4 ounces Mozzarella cheese Ciliegini
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil julienned
- 3 slices Prosciutto ham cut in strips
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese shaved
- Cut the melon and the cantaloupe in balls with a special kitchen tool, the melon baller.
- Transfer balls to a bowl, add the mozzarella cheese, lemon juice, salt, pepper and basil and mix.
- Arrange in a bowl or onto a platter. arrange the prosciutto over the salad, as well as the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Sprinkle with some basil and freshly ground pepper if desired.