I don’t know about you, but a pizza is something that I can eat regularly, simply because you can vary the toppings so much that you’ll never eat the same pizza. When I order in, on very lazy days, it is often that one pizza is way too much; too much crust, too much toppings. So I prefer to make my own pizzas and then I can decide what type of crust and what and how much topping. This White Spinach and Three Cheese Pizza is an example of a simple white pizza; spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, Marco Polo Cheese and chicken sausage – no sauce.
Friday was a busy day again, as all days seem to be lately. My husband left for a week long trip to the Pacific and since I know I am going to miss him, the moment he walks out the door, my work schedule was off a little bit. So I am catching up here and posting this pizza seems to be the right thing to do. It is quick and easy to make, once you have the pizza dough ready, that is.
This time the dough is made with all-purpose flour and the topping consists of spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, cheddar cheese and chicken sausage. I put the topping straight on the unbaked dough, sprinkled with salt and pepper and baked the white pizza for approx. 10 minutes. Voila White Spinach and Three Cheese Pizza.
White Spinach and Three Cheese Pizza
- 4 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 ounces active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken sausage
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese with peppercorns
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 pound spinach
- salt and pepper
- Combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a bowl.
- While mixing, add the warm water and the olive oil until it becomes a ball.
- Add more water (if dough is dry) or flour (if dough is sticky) and take the ball out of the bowl onto a slightly floured surface.
- Gently knead dough smooth and form ball again.
- Grease a bowl with olive oil, place dough in bowl, cover with plastic wrap.
- Place bowl in a warm area and allow to double in size. This will take about 1-2 hours depending on the temperature.
- During the rising time. Take the casings off the chicken sausage and cook the meat in a skillet, breaking it up. Cook it almost done.
- Wash the spinach and pad it dry.
- Slice the cheddar cheese and cut the mozzarella in small pieces or shred it.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Turn dough onto a slightly floured surface and cut in half, so you can make 2 pizzas.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle with corn meal.
- Form a pizza with your hands and place it on the corn meal.
- Divide the topping over the pizza bottom. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place pizza in oven and bake approx. 10 minutes.