Vegetarian Weeknight Nachos. A Mexican-American dish made on a tray with ingredients like cheese, avocado, tomato, beans and more all covering crispy tortilla crisps. More topping than chips and you have a meal of nachos.
When it comes to nachos ………. it’s hard to go wrong, as you can adjust it just the way you like. More cheese, less tortilla chips, more toppings, different toppings, with Mexican crema or sour cream, avocado slices or guacamole etc. Endless choices and combination. Last but not least, you can see it as a snack or as a meal.
This sheet pan vegetarian weeknight nachos is a meal for the two of us.
The ingredients are:
- tortilla chips or crisps – pick your favorite brand
- shredded cheddar – mild or sharp
- shredded Monterey jack – can substitute with Mozzarella, queso quesadilla, cotija or basically any cheese you like
- black beans
- corn – tinned in the winter and fresh in the summer, roasted or cooked
- shredded lettuce – iceberg lettuce is the crunchiest
- tomatoes – any color and size
- avocado – or guacamole
- sour cream – or crema Mexicana
- cilantro – parsley
Other toppings may be:
- meat like, ground beef or chicken (of course no longer vegetarian)
- any type of pepper, like jalapenos, poblano
- seasoning – if you think you don’t have enough flavor
- hot sauce
How to make Vegetarian Weeknight Nachos?
Putting the nachos together is simple and done in no time. The time you invest in this dish is 90% in prepping the toppings and not so much on the cooking, if you can even call this cooking. Time is needed to shred the cheese, cut the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and herbs. This is how it goes:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This makes cleaning it afterwards way easier, especially when the cheese starts melting and sticking
- Divide the tortilla chips over the baking sheet. Make this layer thin when you consider this a meal. You don’t want to eat chips with a few toppings; you want the toppings play the major role.
- Sprinkle the cheeses over the tortilla chips and slide the baking sheet into a heated 400 degrees F oven until the cheese is melted. This will take a few minutes.
- Now the fun starts. Arrange all the topping on top of the cheese, serve the sour cream separately in a bowl or add some dollops of sour cream on top and ENJOY!
Vegetarian Weeknight Nachos
- 3 ounces tortilla chips
- 9 ounces corn or 1 fresh ear of corn, husked
- 10 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce shredded
- 2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 2 cups tomatoes sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the tortilla chips over it.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the tortilla and slide the baking sheet in the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted, which takes a few minutes.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and arrange all the remaining ingredients/toppings over the chips.
- Serve the nachos with dollops of sour cream on top or in a separate bowl.