This Potato Veggie Cheese Salad with Yogurt Dressing has roughly equal amounts of the different ingredients: vegetables, fruit, corn, potatoes and cheese; equal amounts in volume. The potato is just one of the ingredients, not the primary one, as in a more traditional potato salads. The potato and cheese will add body to the salad and the necessary nutrients to eat is as a meal. You could say that the potato is the starch alternative to pasta, bread, rice, couscous, farro etc.
I believe that eating salads never gets old; especially when you have enough variety and as we do with warm meals, and there is enough variety to be made in salads. My variety this time, is the addition of potatoes, skin on, instead of another starch-rich ingredient, like pasta, rice, couscous, etc. I had some small potatoes left over; not enough for a more traditional potato salad, but enough for a Potato Veggie Cheese Salad with Yogurt Dressing.
So what’s in this salad besides these small potatoes:
Ingredients are: boiled small potatoes, skin-on, red bell pepper, cucumber, cheese, spinach, yellow corn, avocado. English cucumber has my preference, then as cheese I used Jarlsberg, a Swedish version of the Swiss Emmental cheese. Semi soft, not overpowering in flavor and easy to cut.
The dressing is yogurt based with some curry, lemon juice and olive oil. All in all a healthy meal salad; it contains veggies, fruits, enough vitamins, fibers, protein. It contains little fat and most is good fat (from avocados and olive oil), gluten free and vegetarian. If you leave out the cheese you’ll have a vegan salad.
If you want some extra variety, keep the potatoes warm, may be also the corn as that will give another flavor to the salad. I love temperature differences in salads and you may know already about my love for different textures.
The only advice I would have when you combine different temperatures is that hot potatoes or hot corn kernels would easily wilt the spinach. Cool the warm ingredients down just a little bit and mix at the very last moment. Other than that, enjoy my Potato Veggie Cheese Salad with Yogurt Dressing.
Potato Veggie Salad with Yogurt Dressing
- 4 ounces spinach
- 1 whole avocado
- 8 ounces small potatoes cooked
- 4 ounces cucumber
- 2 ounces cheese Jarlsberg Cheese
- 1 ear corn
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Whisk together yogurt, curry powder, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Wash the potatoes and cook them with peel until they're done. Allow to cool.
- Cook the corn for 15 minutes in boiling water with salt. Allow to cool.
- Wash the spinach, pat dry and cut in small pieces.
- Peel the cucumber and cut in small cubes
- Place the cooled corn, cut side down, on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife and cut downward, cutting kernels from the cob.
- Cut the cooled potatoes and the cheese in cubes.
- Clean the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds and cut in small cubes.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and peel and cut the fruit in small cubes.
- Mix fruit, vegetables, potato and cheese and pour dressing over salad.
- Mix and add salt and pepper to taste. Divide over 2 bowls or plates and serve.