Mondays are always crazy here, too much to do to and at the end of the day, a to-do-list that is still long. So clearly little time and quite honestly little left in the tank to make a fancy dinner. This Pasta with Brown Butter Sauce it just a lazy option that actually tastes great. It is not enough to keep me full the rest of the evening, but I had some apple pie left over, and that just did it.
It is amazing that a good pasta, good butter and some real Parmigiano Reggiano are enough to have a tasty light meal. I guess it tastes good, because the ingredients are good. A colored pasta is my pasta of choice in this recipe, because it looks better and when it looks better, it tastes better. Am I fooling myself? I used the Olive Leaves Pasta this time, green in color, from spinach and shaped as an olive leave.
This does not really require a recipe. Use as much pasta as you need and cook it al dente. Towards the end of the cooking time, start melting the butter, real butter, like cultured butter, in a skillet and simmer it, until it foams a little. Add your herb of choice at this point. I love sage, but yesterday, I only had thyme and that work wonderful as well. Continue to cook the butter and the herbs, until the butter colors brown. Total time 3-5 minutes. Once it is brown, it is done, so keep an eye on it, from here on it will burn easily. Brown butter has this nice nutty, caramel flavor. You’ll see in top photo that the butter is brown, not black.
Drain the pasta and add to the butter sauce. Toss to coat and then, just before serving, grate some Parmigiano Reggiano over the pasta. Please use the real stuff, not the supermarket copycats; it does make a difference.
Do you prefer to see the recipe of Pasta with Brown Butter Sauce, here it is.
Pasta with Brown Butter Sauce
- 4 ounces pasta of your choice
- 1/4 cup unsalted cultured butter
- 1/2 tablespoon sage or thyme leaves chopped
- salt and pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- Bring salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to directions on the packaging.
- Wash the herbs and chop them.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and simmer it until foaming.
- Add the herbs to the butter and allow the butter to brown.
- Drain the pasta, add the pasta to the butter and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and divide over 2 plates.
- Grate Parmigiano Reggiano over the pasta and serve.