A simple way to give more taste to healthy goat cheese, is to marinate it. The result is a great gift for the holidays. You can use marinated goat cheese in a salad or just spread on toast. And ….. you’ll end up with flavorful oil that you can use for many recipes to come.
This really is a simple, 10 minute recipe. If you’re somebody who uses goat cheese a lot, you can have a lot of fun creating other flavor combinations.
Alternatives to flavor marinated goat cheese
- coriander seeds
- orange or lemon rind or zest
- star anise
- red pepper flakes
- fennel seeds
- sun dried tomatoes
It goes without saying that you can easily use Feta cheese instead of Goat cheese and marinate it roughly the same way.
I haven’t mentioned the oil I used, but I guess you found that out already. Indeed olive oil. Also here, you can make your own adjustments. The thing I would like to say: use quality oil, whatever type you decide to use.
You can stick with pure olive oil; a strong flavored version or the lighter olive oils. You can decide on the type of olives used, the country it came from and whether you like a extra virgin or virgin olive oil.
You can also decide for a flavored olive oil, like one with basil, or chili flakes or lemon. Or maybe you like to go wild and think outside the box and go with a nut or seeds oil. If you decide on an oil that may not be used to fry with, make a note for your recipient to avoid disappointments.
Do you consider the idea of marinated goat cheese as a gift, but don’t like to make it yourself, have a look at Chevoo products.
Marinated Goat Cheese
- 3 ounces goat cheese unflavored
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon colored peppercorns
- Cut the goat cheese log in 2-inch thick slices and place them in a glass jar.
- Cover the goat cheese with the olive oil and add garlic, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns.
- Close the jar and refrigerate for at least 2 days before you start using it. Allow the flavor to penetrate the cheese.
- When serving, bring the goat cheese to room temperature and serve with crackers or toast or warm rustic bread.
- Olive oil placed in the fridge for a while becomes cloudy and solidifies. This does not affect color, quality of flavor. As soon as oil is at room temperature, it becomes liquid again.