Looking for a healthy snack that is flavorful as well?! Try these crispy oven roasted chickpeas. Call it a revelation of a nutty, crunchy, protein snack. There are lots of flavor combinations you can pursue, but you can keep it simply salted as well.
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans have a long and proud history, we’re talking AD here. They are one of the earliest cultivated legumes and they have so many different names, often depending on the use in different languages and cultures. If you are interested in how the most frequently used names, chickpeas and garbanzo came about, read this short story in Bon Appetit.
Before I show you how you to make these crispy oven roasted chickpeas, let me tell you that chickpeas are a good source of protein, fiber, and carbohydrates. They can be used in diabetic, and weight-loss or strength diets. I love healthy savory snacks. OK, let’s have a look at the recipe:
- First the preparations; preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and dry them by spreading them on a clean, dry towel. Fold the towel and lightly but vigorously move the towel across the chickpeas, so the chickpeas roll around.
- Of course you can use a paper towel as well. By having an absorbing layer underneath and on top of the chickpeas, you’ll get a better result faster and it will remove some of the skins on the beans as well. Use another dry towel or fresh paper towel if needed. It is paramount that the chickpeas are dry before they go into the oven. Pull all the loose skins you can find off the chickpeas and discard.
- Once dry, transfer the chickpeas to the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with coarse salt. Toss the around, so they are coated.
- Slide the baking sheet into your oven and roast for 30-40 minutes. Every now and then shake the baking sheet, so the chickpeas are roasted on all sides until they show off their beautiful golden color and a crispy skin.
Take the baking sheet out of the oven and salt again. You’re done, your crispy flavorful snack is ready to be devoured..
Unless ……… you want a little more flavor and simply salty is not it for your. You know what you can do?
- Want to go sweet? Toss with a cinnamon / sugar combination.
- Want to go green? Green as in herbal? Toss with rosemary and/or sage.
- Want to go for a North African flavor? Add sumac, za’atar, and harissa
- Want to add a Mexican twist? Mix with chilipowder, cumin and coriander.
- Want to make them more Indian? Toss with cayenne, garam masala, curry, cardamom
Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas
- 15 ounces cooked chickpeas (1 can)
- olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- additional spices/herbs (NOTE 1)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and dry them by spreading them on a clean, dry towel. Fold the towel and lightly but vigorously move the towel across the chickpeas, so the chickpeas roll around. This will dry them better and also removes some of the skins on the beans. Use another dry towel if you did not manage to really dry the peas. Pull off any loose skins, and discard.
- Transfer the chickpeas to the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a generous pinch of coarse salt.
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Shake the baking sheet, so the chickpeas change position and roast another 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. (NOTE 1)
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and immediately add more salt and toss.
- If you like to try to add herbs and spices, this is the moment to do it; while the chickpeas are still warm. (NOTE 2)
- Not all ovens are made or bake/roast equally, so check what happens during the second 15 minutes. You don’t want to end up with tooth shattering peas, nor don’t you want mushy ones. If 2 x 15 minutes is not enough, add some minutes and stay alert.
- Alternative flavor additions:
– chili powder and cumin
– curry alone or in combination with
– paprika powder
– cinnamon and sugar if you like a sweet snack