This Cinnamon Sugar Bundt Cake is absolutely wonderful. You can find this recipe in the Fall 2016 issue of “Bake from Scratch”. It is flavorful, dense, but moist, and crunchy on the top. All these characteristics remain after freezing it.
Every time I bake a new recipe that it a success the first time around, I am happy. I feel that there is still hope for me to learn how to bake. I am not a very experienced baker, may be because I am not a sweet tooth. May be because I don’t have a large family to feed, may be because I never learned how to bake from my mother, other than her apple pie. Or may be because I am not artistic enough to decorate a cake into something beautiful, may be because I don’t allow myself enough time to learn. Whatever the reason, it is what it is. This Cinnamon Sugar Bundt Cake is a great success and you’ll need to try it.
The reason I picked this particular recipe, is the looks of it, the ingredients, the anticipated flavor (cinnamon, sugar and apple, what is not to like). My compliments to the recipe developers of the Bake from Scratch Magazine; a super cake. I encourage everybody to make this one; if I can do it, you can as well.
Making the cake is rather straight forward, with the exception of cooking down the apple cider that is used in this recipe. I should invest in a fancier Bundt cake pan, that way the cakes are a little more exiting to look at. However, in the end it is about the flavor and when I make the cake just for the two of us . . . . . . . is it important to decorate it?
Next, the recipe in a nutshell; for more details look below. Start by cooking the apple cider until it has reduced from 6 cups to 1.5 cups. This will take about 2 hours and you’ll have to check every now and then, so it doesn’t reduce too much. Then mix butter and sugar and vanilla and mix until white and creamy, next step: add eggs. In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a third bowl mix milk, reduced apple cider and apple cider vinegar. Then combine the content of these 3 bowls and add chopped apple and mix transfer to your Bundt pan. Bak for about 1 hour at 325 degrees F. In the meantime, you can make the simple icing and the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Once the cake is baked and cooled, brush it with the simple icing. When that is done, sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture and you’ll have the cake you will like. I am sure of it. Since my family consists of two people, an entire Bundt cake is way too much to consume, unless we eat it every day for about a week or so. When I bake a cake, I need the cake to be freezer friendly. And this one certainly is. After thawing this cake is still moist, flavorful and crunchy at the top. A winner in my book.
This is the Cinnamon Sugar Bundt Cake
Cinnamon Sugar Bundt Cake
- 6 cups apple cider
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large apple peeld and chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkle
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Bring apple cider to a boil in a saucepan and continue to cook until the cider is reduced to 1 1/2 cups. This will take about 1.5-2 hours. Stir the apple cider every now and then, so you have a consistent mixture. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare a 10 cups Bundt pan by spraying with baking spray with flour.
- Combine butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix until white and creamy. Add eggs, one by one, until well mixed. Only add next egg when the previous one is well incorporated.
- In a second bowl, mix the dry ingredients; flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a third bowl, mix together milk, apple cider vinegar and reduced apple cider.
- Mix content of the 3 bowls by adding flour mixture to butter mixture and alternate with apple cider mixture. Start and end with flour mixture. When well mixed, add apple pieces and mix again.
- Spoon batter in Bundt cake form and bake approx. 1 hour in the oven.
- Cake is good when a wooden pick comes out almost clean.
- Allow cake to cool in form for about 10 minutes. Then invert onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Make simple icing by mixing the two ingredients. Brush icing over cake and then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar sprinkle.