A creamy tomato ham egg salad made with just 6 everyday ingredients. This salad is ready to devour in less than 30 minutes. The addition of ham and tomato makes it just a little bit different than your normal egg salad.
Egg salad is something I really like, but it is something my husband really dislikes. The smell of hard boiled eggs turns him off. Consequently, this salad is not a regular in my menus …. unfortunately and therefore I almost forgot about it.
You may say, just make it for yourself, and rightly so, but if your household is just two, it is so much more practical to cook just once. And I do make this Tomato Ham Egg Salad when my husband is traveling.
This recipe is enough for 2 lunches for 1 or 1 lunch for two. Serve it on toast, as an open sandwich or a regular sandwich, with our without lettuce. Alternatively, this is a great salad to stuff in tomatoes or serve in a lettuce cup.
The ingredients for this salad are fresh egg, tomato, cooked ham, mayonnaise, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Sounds simple doesn’t it? Well it is simple indeed.
How to make this salad?
Boil the eggs, cool them, chop them, as well as the tomato and cooked ham. Add mayonnaise, chopped parsley, paprika, salt and pepper and you’re done.
The ham in the salad gives it a little more body and the tomato pieces add a certain ‘freshness’ or brightness to the salad.
This salad is great on toast, or on toasted bread or on fresh bread, or just great straight out of the bowl.
When eating or serving eggs, in whatever form, know that eggs have besides a lot of positive attributes, also a few negative characteristics. Check out this post on Your love-hate relationship with eggs.
Tomato Ham Egg Salad
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 large tomato
- 3 slices cooked ham
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- Place your eggs in a saucepan and fill with water until about 1 inch above the eggs. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- As soon as the water is boiling cover the pan and turn off the heat. Allow the eggs to ‘cook’ for 10 minutes. Do not open the lid during those minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare an ice bath. As soon as the egg are done, transfer them to the ice bath and allow them to cool for approx. 10 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooling, cut the tomato in half, discard the seeds and cut the tomato in small pieces. Do the same with the ham.
- Once the eggs are cooled down, peel them and chop them in small pieces.
- Chop the parsley. Mix all ingredients, add the mayonnaise, paprika and salt and pepper to taste.